Monday, April 27, 2009

passion, anyone ?

I've finished reading The Five People last night.
It was good. It was, as I said before, full of beautiful quotes. I will post them later - I have one particular quote I love the most. The book was also sad, though. Now I wanna read Tuesdays With Morrie.
By the way, the other night I watched Oprah. It featured young millionaires and stuff but the point was, people really succeed when you find yourself doing something you love, and not for the money. The happiest kind of people is those who continue doing something they're really passionate in; then it will flow from there.
Wow - Oprah and Mitch Albom all in one day.
Anyways, accidentally, today at campus I met Tania and we had a brief lunch and we discussed bout life after college.
Which really, really made me think.
I mean, Oprah and those people were actually right. I don't wanna do something because it results in huge amount of cash. I wanna do something I really like; the one I really enjoy doing.
I wanna be 50 and be able to say, "You know what, I loved my job." I wouldn't care about the money it makes because as long as you're passionate about something, then you'll get the best result there is. So me and Tania talked about what we were really raging for. For her, it's fashion marketing stuff; how she regret not enrolling in a fashion business school and at UPH instead. Bingo- the big R word.
I don't wanna feel regret. I hate that feeling. So now Tania's wishing for a fashion school or courses after she graduates. Another friend of mine has also known what she wants to do: open a dance studio. Another one is now also doing EO stuff and it's looking quite good.
What about me?
I realized that there are two things that I'm always passionate about: foods, and children. After my last leadership class today, I was so moved by the videos of poverty-stricken children my lecturer showed in class and I so badly wanted to open a foundation that houses the poor kids in the street. Seriously. But of course not now- I don't even have the money or the people for it.
As for foods, well, my mom loved to cook and I think I inherit the passion for foods from her. The difference is, I can't cook. Haha.

I figured that I can always build a foundation when I'm older. But for my "life after college", I want to open a restaurant. Here, good. Abroad, even better. I told you in previous posts before how much I wanna do this; but I don't think you understand how bad I want it.
Back in fifth semester, we had a PR Writing class. To this day, it's still one of my fav subjects ever. We were told to make a false company and be the PR for it; make press kits and stuff. I was ecstatic when my group decided to make a Spanish restaurant- it was located in Kemang and we held events and stuff :D it's all make-believe, of course, but still I did it so very thoroughly because I loved it. I loved every bit of that class.
Aside from that, I also like advertising. But only the copywriting part- I love stringing sentences together and awe others. The lucky thing is, I'm enrolled as a communication major. That connects to everything. I could even double as the restaurant's PR, right. I mean, what if I decided to study like Engineering or something? :S What will I do then, you know.
So, I think I'm serious about that culinary school. I don't care if you say that's unimportant and useless; if I don't end up getting my dreams to open a restaurant, then at least I will be able to serve foods other than fried rice and fried noodles to my kids.
How 'bout that? >:)
It's gonna be tough, I know. And the thing is, first, I don't know a good culinary school here or abroad. Well surely Switzerland has the best ones but come on-that's too much for a beginner, no? Unless I get a scholarship or something.
Tell me if I'm being unrealistic here, but I wanna reach it all before thirty. By then, I wanna be settled with a family (and twins for kids, please? :D) and I wanna be someone my kids can look up to. They'll be able to learn that people should still have fun while working, too. That when they grow up they're inspired to follow their dreams as well. By then, I wanna have a nice job that I can be proud of because it is my dream; not because the big bucks it makes. The question is, am I brave enough to do that? To prioritize my actual hope and dreams and not money? Because we do need money every once in a while, eventually. I don't wanna cave in, but I also don't know if I can do that.
That's the coward-ish side of me that I loathe.
I'll have to continue this post later, seeing as I don't wanna bore you to tears and thus preventing you from visiting this blog again. And besides, I'm so tired that my eyes are seeing funny things now, haha. I need those eyedrops.
That's just something to mull on, peoples. Are you really doing something out of passion or are you still waiting for that egg to hatch?
Let me know. And if you've suceeded in it, please tell me how to conquer the fear and how to just follow your guts and hearts instead.

3 comments:

Najib said...

binda.. cocoknya S2 di switzerland.. dan karna lo ga punya temen diisana, suka boring siang-siang.. maka lo melalui hari2 lo dgn menulis novel :D
Nda gue dulu sempet terobsesi nari tmpat kursus/sekolah masak. ga banyak disini. dan ga ada yg murah nda. harganya ampun2.

sampe skrg obsesi ini masih ada................:( [sedih ya nad ceritanya?]

MAU BELAJAR MASAK BANGET! ikut............

Najib said...

*nari = nyari

Dinda said...

hahaha amin nad aminnnn :)) tp kayaknya mahal skali ya nad ke swiss padahal kalo disana kyknya komplit bgt, pulang2 tinggal buka restoran haha..
iya kalo gue dpt ssuatu nanti gue kabarin lo ya nad! hihi asik amaaatt kalo kita culinary school barengaannn :D
nad msn dong, jam 12 an gitu? pgn kasitau ssuatu deh berhubungan dgn post lo hehe