Thursday, March 26, 2009

morning, sunshines!


It's a national day-off today. So I woke up at around ten and stretched and stretched like there's no tomorrow.
Hey, you know one thing that people don't know about me? It's the tiny little fact that I adore classic movies. We used to have the MGM channel at the house here, but that was a long time ago when we still lived in, I don't know, Bumi Bintaro Permai? Jeez, that was a hell of a long time ago and of course, being infatuated with boybands, I didn't even glance at MGM back then. MTV was my only hero, all day and night.

Anywaaaaaaay,
I do love classics. I mean, aside from the way they dress and talk, I love the simple love stories. Once I had the opportunity to watch Rebel Without A Cause with the fabulous James Dean in it. I just sat there gawking at him haha I mean come on, that is what you call a classic good look on a man!! He's tough, yet crumbles when he's near the girl he adores, and he stands up against people that he disagrees with, and of course, he smokes. I also recently watched the one with Warren Beatty on it but I forgot the title. It's the one where he lives in a flaat, and his neighbor is a sophisticated lady, and.....shoot I really forgot.

I've been craving all these years to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's and of course, also read the book. I was on a singing euphoria when I watched Sound of Music and I enjoyed the dancing, even. Though, you know what I love the most? It might not be so much as a real, true-to-the-bone classic, but I really love the movie that's in the picture up there.
I mean, I literally watched it like a dozen times because I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. Pink Ladies and Thunderbirds rocked my world. And I was so darn excited too when my high school class decided to take that theme for the yearbook ;)
I also have this little part of me that's so very curious about Shakespeare. I want to read his creations (despite the fact that I once read Pride and Prejudice and didn't understand a thing about it. All I know is, Elizabeth fell madly in love with Mr. I'm-too-cool-for-words Darcy, and then what? The advanced English was way too smart for me; let alone Mr. Shakespeare's!) I watched Shakespeare in Love years ago, the one with Ralph Fienne in it, and got so hooked by the story that I googled it (please don't sue me) and learned the fascinating fact that the movie was made based on various Shakespeare novels. The part when Gwyneth had to pretend to be a boy was actually adapted from Twelfth Night. The part about them being star-crossed lovers, well, unless you've been living under a rock whilst every teenager in the world is salivating over Leonardo DiCaprio, is taken from Romeo & Juliet.
The movie with the grogeous Channing Tatum in it, and Amanda Bynes, you know the one called She's the Man? That's also adapted from Twelfth Night. (And so I heard an Indonesian sinetron is copying it, the one with that young actress Chelsea something? Not that I'm surprised with our beloved country's obsession of copycat-ing, but my, Will Shakespeare must be stirring in his grave if he knew.)

So if anyone shares the same excitement and passion for classic novels and movies (no classic songs for me, thanks) do elaborate. I might not be an expert on those movies, which is why I'd love to learn more. I haven't met any of my friends who is also passionate for that kind of thing, to be honest.
And word of advice, if you've got MGM in your cable at home, please don't waste it. Trust me. Boybands and box office movies come and go, but classics are never out of date. Hey, maybe that's why they call it a classic.
I wanna go hunt for DVDs !













No comments: