Thursday, April 9, 2009

happy election day!

I didn't vote, but before you go all crazy on me, it wasn't because I didn't want to. Strangely enough, I did want to. My family just hasn't been registered, what with being newcomers at Sektor 3A Bintaro. I will vote for the presidential election , don't worry. Yes, come to think of it, the only times I feel like my nationalism is soaring high is only during two things: elections, and when I perform traditional dances onstage. That's about it.
So I've been thinking quite a lot lately-I think that when I really really want something I shouldn't just stand by and whine to other people about it. Instead, I should do something about it, something that no matter how small, can help me achieve my goals. So, ladies and gentlemen, I am planning to enroll in a culinary school sometime in the future. Perhaps after I graduate? I don't know. All I know is that my dream is to open a restaurant when I'm older. Wish me luck :D
The only things I have made so far are cookies and cakes and cupakes. Messy, ugly icing on it, too. I gotta learn how to decorate cupcakes. But there are so many cupcake outlets in town nowadays that I feel the business is going stale. I gotta find something new :D
I have my own recipe book; I write them down from the recipes I found online, and then I try to make it one by one but still, I'm not in the big league yet. I haven't even tried to make cheesecake. It's kind of hard to find pie crust in grocery stores in Jakarta, I think. And I haven't got the skills to make the pies from scratch, too.
Other than cakes, I love making appetizers, but I still haven't explored that area much either. Come to think of it I'm just big on talking and never actually do it. I gotta change that about me. =P
Anyways, you know one of the things I hate the most on Facebook, aside from people shouting unimportant stuff?
It's when someone adds me randomly. But that's still normal, what I hate even more is when that someone suggested that I should add someone else--another person I don't bloody know. I mean, I didn't even accept you as a friend, why the heck are you suggesting another stranger for me? Tsk. The stupid things people do.
Anyways, a new marketing strategy has been booming during this election madness. As Starbucks put it, if you care enough to vote, we care enough to give you a free cup of coffee. It motivates the young and hip crowd to vote. And it does give value to the coffee shop. I thought that was brilliant.
Until everyone starts doing it. You get 10 % off at Aksara if you vote. You get 50 % off for an entry to Dufan if you vote. You get discounts at Matahari Dept Store if you show your purple-d pinky today.
Well, it is still good strategy. I haven't heard anything like that before. Unfortunately, I have not been registered yet so no free stuff for me this year. I'm lucky Starbucks is "only" giving away black coffees. I mean, if they're giving out vanilla steam milks for free today, I would've dipped all my ten fingers into the ink and march straight up to the nearest counter I could find :D

No comments: